[bookport] Re: bookport needs a speaker:

  • From: Bruce Toews <dogriver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:51:48 -0500 (CDT)

Well, the "every speech synthesizer comes with software speech" argument is not a particularly useful one, since a lot of us despise software speech on principle. But I agree with your other points. There would be no harm in making any new BP a speech synth, but again, it's not a priority for me.

Someone before raised a very valid point which I discovered when I threw out my wish list for general discussion. For whatever reason, we seem to have this tendency to feel that if we don't have a need for a particular feature, implementing that feature is a bad idea. I saw a post on the Book Courier list where someone was explaining why he thought the BC was better than the BP. His reason was that the BP has a note taking feature and he has no need for a note-takng feature, an argument which makes no sense to me.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
E-mail and MSN/Windows Messenger: dogriver@xxxxxxxx

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Chris Hill wrote:

The reason it doesn't serve as a synthesizer likely has to do with
licensing in part.  Another part is that it looks for all the world
like an external storage device to a computer, the usb interface would
have to be reprogrammed to make it work as a synthesizer.  Since every
modern screen reader comes with software speech, what would be the
point?

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:34:36 -0500, you wrote:

Ok, first of all, I am not talking about a different speech synthesizer,
I am referring to a request to have the device work as a speech
synthesizer for a personal computer, which was in the message I
originally responded to.
Second,  if an optional carrying case with a built-in speaker were
offered, I'd be fine with that.

-----Original Message----- From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rick and Pauline Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 10:04 AM To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bookport] Re: bookport needs a speaker:

I don't believe anyone on the list is in a position to decide what is good for everyone else as it relates to the BookPort. Some prefer a speaker for their individual needs, and others are convinced a speaker is unnecessary. Why does one person have to be right and another wrong when it comes down to this issue. I suggest the American Printinghouse should consider offering us an optional carrying case for the BookPort that would include a built in speaker for those who want one. There are such products on the market I

know at the present time, but none that is specificly designed with the
BookPort in mind.  For those who feel strongly about having a speaker
should
have one if they are willing to pay for one.  The same can be said for
those
who want an improved speech synthesizer.  Why can't this be an option as

well.  Live and let live, guys, and lets try not to be so narrow minded.

Rick