[blindreplay] Re: Attention Window-Eyes 6.1: Feedback needed

  • From: pasquale acquaviva <noahpeal73107@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hello to Petro, Mike, and the list,

I brought up this menu issue with Window-Eyes quite a
while ago, around the time that Replay A/V 8 first
made its appearance.  I to am extremely surprised that
noone seemed to think it important enough to make
further mention of it.  If anyone else recalls, I
stated something to the effect that certain items in
the submenu were "ghosted"; that is the only way I
could characterize this repetition of some, but not
all, of A/V's menu item choices.

While it is certainly true that these issues do not
pose any major problem with either the access,
operability, or performance of the features
in RAV, it does give a rather sloppy appearance to the
RAV menu interface, as Rick Alfaro correctly observed
last night.  Frankly, I must admit that, given this
sloppy appearance, I prefer to work with the slicker
appearance of RAV 7's button interface.  I realize
that this is just a personal preference.  I've had
both RAV 7 and 8 loaded on this machine, but my pc's
28 gigabyte hard drive no longer permits such luxury.
I have been forced to remove one of RAV's versions,
and that one was RAV 8.

Petro, in all candor, I don't think I could say that
"JAWS kicks Window-Eyes big time"
as far as RAV is concerned.  I've been a JAWS user at
one time and I remember all too well when JAWS had a
terrible time with the menus of some Windows
applications.  I have scripted some applications for
JAWS, though I cannot honestly state that I am
thoroughly proficient in the art of scripting.  I
don't know what the limitation of scripting languages
will impose on Window-Eyes, but I do know that the
ability to reclass certain application controls
greatly limited the capabilities of previous JFW
versions.

The ability of Window-Eyes to work with RAV versions 7
and 8  right out of the box without the need for using
set files is pretty impressive.

To my way of thinking, GW Micro has had precious
little to say about set files, their capabilities, and
limitations--a little bit of a thorn in the flesh, as
far as I am concerned.  Thus, I cannot comment
intelligently and at length as to how the current
system of set file development can be used to
alleviate or thoroughly eliminate the RAV
problem that is currently under discussion.  I can,
nonetheless state that I have great confidence in the
potential capability of Window-Eyes to rise to the
challenge of making a really neat RAV application look
even neater.

I sincerely apologize for this rather lengthy message.

Regards
- --
Pat Acquaviva

--- "Petro T. Giannakopoulos"