[blazie-support] Re: hello out there -- I have a question

  • From: Penny Golden <pgolden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blazie-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 18:42:03 +500

well, Super-Steve, as long as I am still here, I have a suggestion.
Can you  put in your bid on some of the lists out there for a used
braille lite?  i bought mine for $2000 some years ago from a Texas
gentleman who had got it and then because of diabetes in his fingers
could not really read the braille display.  At the time I believe the
B-lite was selling for $3500 or so; this is well before the F S days.
I could call them up out there in Baltimore, or wherever it was, and
people would just jump to help one.  Not that I will complain about F
S in this article.  The level of service, though, was better.  The
place was smaller, of course.  How about the computer-assistive
people.  Perhaps there is a used unit in your price range.  I don't
know your situation, of course.  I'd like to pose a little different
thread here.

New paragraph.  When I was beginning to teach school, our rehab
services place had a fund for purchasing assistive devices.  I bought
a two thousand dollar computer through that fund--it was overpriced,
yes, but don't tell me that--and it was interest free monies.  I had
to pay it off in two years and I managed to pay it off in 16 months,
give or take.
Are there no low-interest or no-interest monies out there for
assistive tech for the handicapped?  Or are we visually impaired now.
You know, sometimes I just feel handicapped--smiling.  I've been
diagnosed with some hearing loss in one ear.  It goes and comes; it is
not significant yet, they say.  I know lots of you have much more
severe challenges than I face, so forgive my complaining.

You've got my two cents' plain now.  I bought my millennium 20 from
someone for $1000.  So used units can be found sometimes.
Best, Penny

Penny Golden
pgolden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx