[blazie-support] notetaker summary (was: Re: Re: hello out there -- I have a question)

  • From: "Laura Eaves" <leaves@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blazie-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 21:03:38 -0400

Oh, ok -- but there are still other alternatives to the Millenium...
That's the main benefit of going to the conventions: the various technology
vendors are all there displaying their products and gadgets so you can
compare them and get some hands on experience using them.
FS is dropping the Millenium after this year to replace it with something
called the Pack Mate -- a notetaker with a braille keypad plus arrow keys
that talks but currently has no braille display.  The operating system is
Windows C.E. (I think -- I'm fuzzy on PDA technology -- apparently CE is the
mini subset of windows that runs on PDA's.)
This means that FS will no longer be supporting the proprietary OS in the
brl lite and Millenium.  Sometime next year FS plans on adding a braille
display to the Pack Mate, which of course will double the price.

But if you don't want to stick with FS, you can always get an Elba
notetaker, which was just introduced by Sighted Electronics.  It's hype is
that it runs linux so you can run unix applications on it (assuming you
don't run out of memory and disk space).  It talks and has a 32 cell brl
display.  See
    www.sighted.com
Of course, Pulse Data has their brl notetakers also, the braille note
models.  See
    www.pulsedata.com
They run windows CE and therefore their software is more standard than the
Millenium.  The one I saw had 32 cells.

Then of course there's the laptalk.  For details see
    www.beyondsight.com
As I said, it's a laptop w/o a screen running XP with WinEyes.  I have a
long email about it from Evelyn Weckerly giving the specs, as she plans on
buying one.  It has a full sized keyboard, but no built-in braille display
(yet).

Hope you find this useful.  And if I made any mistakes, feel free to correct
them. (I didn't have a notetaker yet at the convention to take notes on all
this stuff...;)
Cheers.
--le