[bksvol-discuss] Re: pre-marking RTF files

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:47:31 -0400

Carrie, I've been reading this thread and thinking about it carefully.
I have two comments to offer. First, many of us who are totally blind
do not use Word to validate or proofread our scans. For that reason,
using a text-based symbol or tag we can type in Kurzweil or in Braille
makes sense. The heading feature in Word is cumbersome to use without
a mouse, so I would probably skip doing that unless it were mandatory.
I really, really don't want to switch to using Word to read books.

Second, I like the idea of using a text tag that's easy to remember
because we actively work to strip out extra and random punctuation
while proofreading. If you use a tag like {chapter} we can even use a
macro to insert it by pressing a single keystroke or by a single click
of a toolbar for Cindy and our other sighted validaters. I would be
willing to write keyboard macros and share them to make tag insertion
easier. I think {chapter} is a lot easier to remember than for ::::
signs. Tags like {table} {caption} {contents} and {textbox} would be
obvious to understand and would take less time for us to learn. I
already have trouble remembering when to use a : or a ; and still have
to guess at where to find a & sign.

On 9/11/08, siss52 <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ann,
>
> Not when you use the stars to protect chapter headings for Bookshare.  The
> mighty stripper eats the stars but leaves the chapter headings.
>
> Sue S.

Monica Willyard