[bksvol-discuss] Re: pre-marking RTF files

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:31:25 -0400

Hi,
This is true. You can turn that stuff off, but you would have to remember
to turn it back on again if you interact with people who use it.

I suggest that if a marking like this is adopted that someone create a Word
template that has the correct initial settings. I happen to be reading the
book called Word Hacks right now. I see in the book that it is possible to
create new menus. Perhaps if we get this far, I or someone else can make a
new menu that we can use to insert the markings, so that someone who is not
technical will have no trouble doing the job. I would be happy to do this
if it gets to the point where we are testing and implimenting something
like this. I am a programmer, so I should be able to figure out how to
accomplish the task.

Thanks.

Jim

James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Ann Parsons"
             <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bksvol-discuss-bo                                          cc
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] Re: pre-marking
                                       RTF files
             09/10/2008 08:22
             AM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

Hi all,

Um, only one problem with using symbols like that is that in many
cases, at least in Word, placing four such symbols on a line does not
do what you think it does.  If you place four stars on a line and press
enter, you will get a horizontal line of stars across the page.  As a
blind person you will not see it, but it will be visible.  dashes,
equal signs, number signs and so on all produce these horizontal lines.

That's why I'm advocating for the tag-like structure.  Typing <h>  or
<i>  or some such tag-like arrangement will not produce horizontal
lines in the books when they aren't supposed to be there.

Now, these horizontal lines are only made in Word, but many folks use
Word to validate books.  So, you've got a problem here.  Hey, try it
yourself.   See what happens.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons