[bksvol-discuss] Re: hello i am an ungrateful blind person whining about a problem on a nearly free service that turned out not to have affected anything

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:24:11 -0400

First of all, I'm not a person without sight. I'm not even a Bookshare
member. I spend my free time VOLUNTEERING for Bookshare, which
benefits me in no way at all.

I could be spending my free time doing a number of other things.  So
there's no need to thank me, either, for my hard work over the last at
least six years as a volunteer. Maybe I won't do it anymore.

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Ali Al-hajamy <aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oh, man. I hate it when I think an activity which required me to do
> absolutely nothing labour-intensive failed on this here Bookshare thing, and
> then I find out later that it actually went well with a few minor problems.
> That's the worst. Which is why I then send a querulous, pointless complaint
> to a mailing list full of people who (a) already know this issue exists,
> have discussed it many times before, and, so far as I'm aware, learned to
> just deal with it, and (b) don't have the connections or resources to fix it
> when I want it fixed, that, of course, being now now now, right this second,
> in fact, who needs to be patient and wait for the engineering team to fix
> things that are higher up on their list of priorities first when you can
> just be loud and obnoxious and get what you want now, because that solves
> all of life's problems in UHMERIKA!
>
> PS: I went ahead and changed your subject line for you. There's no need to
> thank me.
>
> On 21-Apr-12 14:37, Jamie Yates, CPhT wrote:
>>
>> At 4:39 this morning I tried to submit a book. As usual I got to the
>> final step, where you can put in comments and that's the last step. It
>> hangs. It hangs. It hangs. At 5:04 I got a notice that the site was
>> having difficulties and I should try later.
>>
>> Except if I wanted to submit a book LATER, I'd be doing it later. I
>> wouldn't be doing it at 4:39 in the morning. Later I'm going to be
>> sleeping. So when I get up today I start to submit the book again.
>> Good thing I checked my submissions list. It's listed there as being
>> submitted at 3:38 a.m. And at 6:17 I got an email saying my book had
>> been submitted. How was I supposed to know? The page never refreshed
>> to say hey your book went through.
>>
>> I wish if the site was having difficulties it would say so on the
>> FIRST step. Not on the LAST step. Then I wouldnt' bother to spend so
>> much time sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting to
>> see if it's going to go through, because you cannot move off that tab
>> either, you have to stay active on the Bookshare tab or, in my
>> experience, it takes even LONGER to submit, or won't submit at all. So
>> much for the modern windows multitasking, right? Bookshare needs to
>> catch up with the times.

> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of

Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: The Sewing Circles of Herat by Christina Lamb