[bksvol-discuss] Re: hello i am an ungrateful blind person whining about a problem on a nearly free service that turned out not to have affected anything

  • From: Ali Al-hajamy <aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 22:08:20 -0400

That would probably be best. At the time I wrote that, I had been reading my emails and Twitter timeline for half an hour or so, and had seen almost nothing but people whining about their problems without making enany efforts to do anything about them. That's something that annoys me in general, and that email, combined with the fact that I've seen complaints about this subject before in my two years on the list, was all I could handle. In hindsight, I don't think I should have posted that to the list.

On 21-Apr-12 21:54, Roger Loran Bailey wrote:
I did not interpret her post as particularly disrespectful. It came across to me as just the typical grumbling that most of us do from time to time. Nevertheless, different people can interpret different posts in different ways and what may seem innocuous to some may sound more serious to others. Let me suggest that the whole thing be dropped before it is drawn out too far and might lead to hard feelings where there need to be no hard feelings at all.

On 4/21/2012 9:36 PM, Ali Al-hajamy wrote:
I had no issue with the fact that she chose to post this problem to the list. My problem was with the disrespectful tone and attitude twoards the staff in the original message, who work hard to make our experience on Bookshare as smooth as possible, and who don't deserve to be yelled at in the manner that she did. if you have an issue with the site, perhaps try to dialogue with staff and figure out exactly what's happening so it can be repaired, not send a message that amounts to "The site is doing a thing I don't like, fix it now!" That is not helpful or productive, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the extraordinary staff members who reads this list is turned off by the complaining and decides they don't want to help people who are being so petulant.

On 21-Apr-12 22:30, Judy s. wrote:
Ali, I'm not sure what you are trying to attribute to Jamie here, but I found your post distasteful at best and the attack on Jamie totally out of line.

The problem Jamie laid out is one that has existed for YEARS now on Bookshare. Since staff read this mailing list, yes, it is appropriate to post here when one experiences on-going problems so that staff know if it's a one-time thing or something others are experiencing.

Oh, and for the record: Jamie isn't blind, and isn't disabled and isn't even allowed to download or read books from Bookshare. She's a sighted volunteer who has scanned literally thousands of books so that people like me who are disabled members of Bookshare can read.

Geez.

Judy s.

On 4/21/2012 4:53 PM, Ali Al-hajamy wrote:
Oh, man. I hate it when I think an activity which required me to do absolutely nothing labour-intensive failed on this here Bookshare thing, and then I find out later that it actually went well with a few minor problems. That's the worst. Which is why I then send a querulous, pointless complaint to a mailing list full of people who (a) already know this issue exists, have discussed it many times before, and, so far as I'm aware, learned to just deal with it, and (b) don't have the connections or resources to fix it when I want it fixed, that, of course, being now now now, right this second, in fact, who needs to be patient and wait for the engineering team to fix things that are higher up on their list of priorities first when you can just be loud and obnoxious and get what you want now, because that solves all of life's problems in UHMERIKA!

PS: I went ahead and changed your subject line for you. There's no need to thank me.

On 21-Apr-12 14:37, Jamie Yates, CPhT wrote:
At 4:39 this morning I tried to submit a book. As usual I got to the
final step, where you can put in comments and that's the last step. It
hangs. It hangs. It hangs. At 5:04 I got a notice that the site was
having difficulties and I should try later.

Except if I wanted to submit a book LATER, I'd be doing it later. I
wouldn't be doing it at 4:39 in the morning. Later I'm going to be
sleeping. So when I get up today I start to submit the book again.
Good thing I checked my submissions list. It's listed there as being
submitted at 3:38 a.m. And at 6:17 I got an email saying my book had
been submitted. How was I supposed to know? The page never refreshed
to say hey your book went through.

I wish if the site was having difficulties it would say so on the
FIRST step. Not on the LAST step. Then I wouldnt' bother to spend so
much time sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting to
see if it's going to go through, because you cannot move off that tab
either, you have to stay active on the Bookshare tab or, in my
experience, it takes even LONGER to submit, or won't submit at all. So
much for the modern windows multitasking, right? Bookshare needs to
catch up with the times.

bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.