[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validation questions: page numbers, chapter headings

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:53:09 -0700

Hi Ann,

In my personal opinion, you are not being too careful. Please, do continue to read the books that you validate, and enjoy every one! I applaud and hope for validators like you who read a book completely through. The next best thing is if the validator runs a spell check on a book that they aren't going to read from cover to cover.

Bookshare does not require either of these things. Validators who do not do them are not breaking any rules. That doesn't mean that they are doing the best job as validators that they could. As a validator, I, like you, read the entire book. As a submitter, I prevalidate my books by reading them and fixing them because I do not want to take the risk that these things, either reading through or spell checking, will not be done by the validator, and I know that there are people who do neither. There have been two out of the last 160 books that I have submitted that I did not read. I did do a thorough spell check on both. All submitters are not as careful as they could be. All validators are not as careful as they could be. That is human nature. And, like you and I, many are very careful and want to produce top quality books for others to read. But, excellent quality books only happen when care is taken.

I would like to see bookshare change their validation requirements to include a spell check on every book before it is uploaded to the administration queue for approval and its subsequent addition to the Bookshare collection. That may or may not ever happen.

Long story short? Your hard work is not required, but it does result in books that people will be thrilled to read and will be able to read easily. It's your call as to whether you continue to do as you have been doing, or to earn the quick credits by doing the bare (and in my opinion insufficient) minimum that bookshare requires. It all depends upon your own personal goals.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Peace,
Mayrie

At 06:18 AM 3/19/2008, you wrote:
Hi all,

I just have a quick question. I notice that occasionally there will be an announcement of a book being placed on the Step 1 list, and then, it seems like only two hours later it's been approved. Either we've got a pack of really fast validators, or I'm doing something wrong? I figure it's my job to read whatever I validate because I'd feel awful if I only read twenty-five pages and there was some huge mix-up further on in the book. Am I being too careful?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring