From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:51 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Validation questions: page numbers, chapter
headings

Hi Rick.
The manual is unclear about what to do with page numbers, but I think they
are preferred at the top of the page.

When I find page numbers at the bottom of the page, however, I leave them
there if they are consistently there. Frankly, I'm not going to take the
time and effort to move hundreds of page numbers from the bottom to the top
of a page, nor do I expect a scannor to do that. Some people move them, and
I admire them for it, but tedium is not my strong suit.

However, concerning the missing chapter headings, I do put them in, because
that's an integral part of the book. In fact, one of the first things I do
with a book that has a table of contents is to check the last chapter to see

if the page number for that chapter matches the kurzweil number for that
page, making allowances for all the preliminary pages. If they match, then I

know I'm lucky and the chances of missing or duplicated pages is very small.

If they don't match, then I try to find the last place they do, and thus
narrow down the place where missing, or duplicated pages might exist.

Hope this helps.
Bob