[bksvol-discuss] Re: Proofreading my first Book

  • From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 08:51:00 -0700

What program are you using to proofread?
If there are extra line breaks they should be removed unless the material is
poetry or for some reason has short lines.  For example, straight text such
as a novel would not have line breaks in the middle of a paragraph.
On the other hand, a bulleted list would have a line break after each entry
so that the nex entry would begin with a bullet at the left margin.
And you should replace a bullet with *
If by "spaces" you mean blank lines, again it would depend. If there is
"white space" between scenes of a book, you should identify those breaks
with three stars so that a reader would recognize a change in scene. The
translation tools will remove extra line breaks so the stars are necessary
in that instance.
If the extra line breaks occur randomly, i.e., at the tops and bottoms of
pages, I remove the extraneous ones and just make certain that each page
begins and ends of a blank line.
As for page numbers, generally books are supposed to contain page numbers
unless they are short book, such as children's books, which may not have
page numbers. Often the scanning software will omit page numbers and then
they need to be added.
Although I've given a lot of information and sometimes it sounds like I'm
saying "it depends", I hope this will at least get you started.

Lori C.