[bksvol-discuss] OT: Overly Helpful People

  • From: "Lora" <loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:03:29 -0700

Coming home today, I had to cross two streets in front of my house.  Neither
is large (two lanes a piece), though one can be a little tricky to read at
times.

Nonetheless, I was certain of my crossing and started across the street.
Suddenly, this guy appears out of nowhere and grabs my hand.  I snatched my
hand back, and then he says, "I just want to help you."  I said, "I'm fine,
I'm fine."

For me, there's always a tiny pang at that point.  Questions run through my
head like:  "Did I screw up this crossing somehow, go against the light,
anything?"

I tucked my hand in my pocket (the other hand being busy with my cane) and
crossed the street.

I felt slightly bad afterward.  I'm sure the gentleman meant no harm, but he
startled me.  I have always lived in big cities, and use a large dose of
caution when traveling.  Mostly, though, I didn't feel afraid, just so
unprepared for someone to appear from nowhere and grab me.

I turned and crossed the other street, and he started to cross with me, but
must have decided I'd make it without him, because he turned and went on his
way.

I'm not sure what I should have done, but that's probably the same reaction
the next person would get under similar circumstances.

Lora