[bksvol-discuss] Nonfiction submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 07:01:45 -0400

Hi all,

I have just submitted "Mother Jones Speaks: Speeches and Writings of a
Working-Class Fighter" edited by Philip S. Foner.

It's been read through w/errors corrected, headers stripped, section titles
and page numbers present, text and headings formatted. 727 pages.
Lots of spelling errors in the "Letters" chapter.

Book Cover:
"I know of no East or West, North nor South when it comes to my class
fighting the battle for justice."

From the end of the Civil War until her death in 1930 at the age of 100,
Mary Harris "Mother" Jones was a tireless fighter for the working class.

Declaring "I reside wherever the workers are fighting the robbers," she
participated in battles together with coal miners in West Virginia, garment
workers in New York, steelworkers in Chicago, streetcar workers in Texas,
brewery workers in Milwaukee, and countless others. For her activities she
was frequently victimized by the bosses' system of justice, and spent time
in many a prison cell. A prosecutor in West Virginia termed her "the most
dangerous woman in America."

Much of her efforts went into the great battles to organize the United Mine
Workers of America. Throughout the coalfields of West Virginia,
Pennsylvania, Colorado, Alabama, and elsewhere, she joined with miners
facing cops and troops, hired gun thugs and special deputies, judges and
prosecutors, bringing to bear the power of the union. Today Mother Jones
remains a symbol of struggle for miners and their supporters in their
ongoing battles against the coal bosses.

This collection, edited by historian Philip Foner, includes her speeches,
interviews, letters, and testimony to congressional committees.

Deborah