[bksvol-discuss] Non-fiction submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BookShare" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 16:24:20 -0500

Hi all,

I've just submitted for validation

Freedom For the Thought That We Hate: A Biography of the First Amendment
by Anthony Lewis

It's been spell-checked, headers stripped, and the page numbers and chapter
titles protected.

From the book jacket:
Congress shall make no law. . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the
press. . .

More than any other people on earth, Americans are free to say and write
what they think. They can criticize the White House or air the secrets of
the bedroom with little fear of punishment. This extraordinary freedom is
based on just fourteen words in our Constitution: the free expression
clauses of the First Amendment.
But the freedom we now take for granted did not take hold when the First
Amendment was added to the Constitution in 1791. It was more than a century
later, in 1931, when the Supreme Court first enforced the Amendment to
protect speakers and the press. Since then judges have interpreted the
sweeping language of the First Amendment to build a great structure of
American liberty.
In Freedom for the Thought That We Hate, Pulitzer Prizewinning journalist
Anthony Lewis tells the story of legal and political conflict, hard choices,
and determined, sometimes eccentric Americans who led the legal system to
realize one of America's great founding ideas.
In this, his first book in seventeen years, Anthony Lewis reminds us all
that even our most basic freedoms as Americans have been secured through
long struggle-by judges, lawyers, activists and ordinary citizens-and should
never be taken for granted.

Enjoy...
Deborah

It has removed 817 spam emails to date.