[bksvol-discuss] Nonfiction submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:33:01 -0400

Hi all,

Just submitted for proofing "Five Years of My Life: An Innocent Man in
Guantanamo" by Murat Kurnaz.

Read through and corrected, all headers stripped, chapter titles and page
numbers present and protected. Approx 260 pages.

In October 2001, nineteen-year-old Murat Kurnaz traveled to Pakistan to
visit a madrassa. During a security check a few weeks after his arrival, he
was arrested without explanation and for a bounty of $3,000, the Pakistani
police sold him to U.S. forces. He was first taken to Kandahar, Afghanistan,
where he was severely mistreated, and then two months later he was flown to
Guantanamo as Prisoner #61. For more than 1,600 days, he was tortured and
lived through hell.He was kept in a cage and endured daily interrogations,
solitary confinement, and sleep deprivation. Finally, in August 2006, Kurnaz
was released, withacknowledgment of his innocence. Told with lucidity,
accuracy, and wisdom, Kurnaz's story is both sobering and poignant--an
important testimony about our turbulent times when innocent people get
caught in the crossfire of the war on terrorism.

Deborah