[bksvol-discuss] Re: How I read

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:31:59 -0600

One of my blind friends once said that being blind is like being a
celebrity, only you don't have any money. <lol> Sometimes this is too true.
He and I often had very different experiences when asking for directions on
the university campus. When I ask for directions, I try to be as close to my
destination as possible so that the direction-giver doesn't have to deal
with anything too complicated. I have many times had the experience of
politely asking where a certain building or classroom is, and having the
person I ask cheerfully offer to accompany me to my destination. I always
make it clear that they don't need to do that and that I realize they
probably have classes to attend and other things to do, but still many
people choose to help me in a way that is very kind and not at all
demeaning.

However, my male friend often had the experience of politely asking for
directions (and he is very soft-spoken, polite, and even rather charming),
and being rudely rebuffed.
We speculate that the only difference is that I'm a small-statured female--I
must have that sweet helpless look. <lol!>
Kellie