[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold fors

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:08:34 -0500

Ilene,

Nicely said.

Dave

At 11:48 AM 3/4/2009, you wrote:
I am sorry to say that if you look in the scanning and propof reading manual there is no requirement for anyoneto read the whole book. There are things people should clean up but nothing says, "Books must be thoroughly read." I've had at least a few cases where someone apparently trusted my scanning and preparation efforts enough to approve the book right away. This is flattering but makes me nervous. Hey, I'm only human.

Would it be helpful for a person with a special problem to say, "Hold for chart reader" or "Hold for recipe reader" so that not just one person would need to pick up a certain book? And although we all want our books checked properly and have probably discovered that some might do a better job than others, there are probably plenty of people who would like a chance, and they deserve a wide choice of books. I do not put hold fors on books, but for those who do, maybe we need to build a sense of trust in the community by letting the proof readers in the pool have more free reign. We aren't choosing among competitors here, we are all working together. Naturally, the proof readers will understand the trust that they are receiving and react accordingly.

Optimistically Yours,

Ilene