[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hold fors

  • From: "Ilene Sirocca" <ilenesia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:48:46 -0500

I am sorry to say that if you look in the scanning and propof reading manual
there is no requirement for anyoneto read the whole book.  There are things
people should clean up but nothing says, "Books must be thoroughly read."  I've
had at least a few cases where someone apparently trusted my scanning and
preparation efforts enough to approve the book right away.  This is flattering
but makes me nervous.  Hey, I'm only human.

Would it be helpful for a person with a special problem to say, "Hold for chart
reader" or "Hold for recipe reader" so that not just one person would need to
pick up a certain book?  And although we all want our books checked properly
and have probably discovered that some might do a better job than others, there
are probably plenty of people who would like a chance, and they deserve a wide
choice of books.  I do not put hold fors on books, but for those who do, maybe
we need to build a sense of trust in the community by letting the proof readers
in the pool have more free reign.  We aren't choosing among competitors here,
we are all working together.  Naturally, the proof readers will understand the
trust that they are receiving and react accordingly.

Optimistically Yours,

Ilene