[bksvol-discuss] Re: Essays and copyright - Ideas and Beliefs of the Victorians -- need Claire's finding

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:05:51 -0800 (PST)

Not just written work is copyrighted--sound files can be copyrighted too even
if they've never been written down.

  When you post a message to a message board, or even send an email, the
copyright for that work belongs to the author in most cases.

  copyright.gov says:
  Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed
form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property
of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their
rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright.

  Copyright protection is available for all unpublished works, regardless of
the nationality or domicile of the author.

  The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood.
No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is
required to secure copyright.

  The use of a copyright notice is no longer required under U.S. law, although
it is often beneficial. Because prior law did contain such a requirement,
however, the use of notice is still relevant to the copyright status of older
works.

  So, for example, the email Mayrie sent this week describing a good process
for validating books, is technically copyright by her and we cannot reproduce
it without her permission. Now she can give blanket permission for us to pass
along her written work to other volunteers and she can put stipulations on it
like we can pass it along as long as we give her credit, or we can reproduce
her work as long as we don't charge people for it, etc.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Gone, But Not Forgotten by Philip Margolin
I'm an eBay affiliate, click here before you bid!
Click here for eBay!