[bksvol-discuss] Re: Credit Suggestion

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 11:21:53 -0500

Debby, Window-Eyes will read them, but you have to go into screen and punctuation. Then, I can't remember, but you have to either turn on the math or miscellaneous punctuation. I doubt that braille handles them well, though. So, since Braille probably doesn't, we should stick with the 1/2, 1/4, etc.

Melissa Smith

On 5/7/2010 10:35 AM, Debby Franson wrote:
 Hi Jill and everyone!

 Whenever I have submitted a cookbook, I have made sure all fractions
 are correct.  I have wondered how accurate other Bookshare cookbooks
 were until joining this list when I have found that many volunteers
 take care to correct the scanos, since fractions are usually horrible
 for OCR to get right.

 The first cookbook I downloaded years ago was "The I Hate to Cook"
 cookbook.  The fractions were not written as 1/2 and 1/4 but the
 higher ASCII characters for those fractions, so, unless I was left'
 or right-arrowing over those fractions, Window-Eyes ignored them
 entirely, so I hope that people always use the 1/2 and 1/4 form of
 the fractions so they are read rather than ignored by synthetic
 speech..  I suspect those higher ASCII characters don't show up well
 on a braille display either.  Am I right?  Here they are to test:

 ¼ ½

 Debby

 At 09:46 PM 5/6/2010, Jill O'Connell wrote

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:03 PM

<http://instantcashsweepstakes.com/invitations/ref_link/49497>http://instantcashsweepstakes.com/invitations/ref_link/49497

See everything I've read this year at: <http://www.michiganrxtech.com/books.html>www.michiganrxtech.com/books.html

> www.avg.com Version: 9.0.819 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2858 -
> Release Date: 05/06/10 13:26:00

 -- mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx> -- Enjoy what you have rather than
 desiring what you don't have. Just dreaming about nice things is
 meaningless; it is like chasing the wind.--Ecclesiastes 6:9 NLT

 bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx put the word 'unsubscribe' by
 itself in the subject line.  To get a list of available commands, put
 the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.