[bksvol-discuss] Re: Credit Suggestion

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 07:41:25 -0500

Very valid point. I've done both nonfiction and fiction. I can usually do fiction in a matter of days, assuming I don't have a lot of other things going on, whereas nonfiction books take weeks. As far as scanning, I either have to get a sighted proofer for my nonfiction books, or have a sighted person help me clean them up before submission. At least that's been the case with the ones I've done. There are so many tables, pictures, etc in the nonfiction books I've scanned. I have a nonfiction book I've scanned, and have been working on for months, in fits and starts. The book is 604 pages long, though the pages are small. It has tons of sidebars and the like, that have made it very difficult. This book was also printed very close to the binding, so there was some trouble there, since I don't have a bookedge scanner.

Melissa Smith

On 5/6/2010 4:51 AM, Andromache wrote:
I was talking to another BookShare member and I was saying I think nonfiction books should be worth more credits to the validator/submitter. For one, they tend to be longer. For another, they often contain charts, diagrams, section headings, indices, etc. Many special features that need special handling. Thirdly, they are more difficult to obtain short of purchasing your own copy. I think people don't touch them immediately because of the time-consuming nature of validating them. Just a thought.

Andromache