[bksvol-discuss] Re: Be mindful

  • From: Julie & Miss Mercy <mercy421@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 23:46:13 -0500

Hi, Jamie. I think this discussion is going a little too far when people who have consistently good scans are starting to feel offended or singled out in some way. Your scans are good and clean. I don't validate anymore, but I've heard people who have validated your scans and they have little to no trouble with them. Every volunteer is appreciated for the work they do for Bookshare, but I think our sighted volunteers should and do hold a special place for all of us. You're willing to tackle some things that the rest of us can't do and for that I for one am grateful. I'm not sighted, but even I don't like to read books via the computer. I use my braille Lite because it's difficult for me to read via speech because of my hearing impairment. That's why when I do scan a book that gives me trouble it takes me so long to get through it, but that's just me. You do whatever you can to make your scans as good as they are and I think that's plenty good enough. Take care.

--
Julie Morales
I sell Avon, All Mixed Up gourmet mixes and candles and other scents from Scentsational Delights. Ask me for more specific information if you're interested! Check out my blog at themoralesfamilyblog.blogspot.com

Jamie Yates, CPhT wrote:
I have never, and will never, read every word of my own scans. I do not like to read books on the computer. I do double check every single word that my OCR program highlights as not being in the dictionary and I do page through the finished product and check red and green marked words and phrases (red is a word that Word says is not in the dictionary; green is a phrase that Word says is not grammatically correct). I also do a search for other things, especially if there were things I had to correct a lot during the OCR process, and usually count page numbers as I page through the file. But I will be glad to put in the comments that I have not read every word of the scan just in case anybody chooses not to validate my work on that basis.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Storm against the innocents : Holocaust memories and other stories / by Elly Gross
Bid, Buy or Sell on eBay! <http://www.dpbolvw.net/email-1683725-10357516>