From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of solsticesinger
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:59 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Be mindful

Hi, all.

I've been reading the thread about using validation resources wisely with a
great deal of interest, and, for the most part, I agree with what you all
have said. If submissions are constantly sloppy, there is a definite
problem, and I think that needs to be addressed somehow.

However, the assertion that, if we don't have time to read our books, we
shouldn't submit them really disturbed me. We are all busy, and we all only
have so much time in the day. So, if I have the time to scan, and someone
else has the time to proofread, why is that a problem? Why should someone be
told not to bother submitting something because he or she doesn't have the
time to proofread it? If that's the case, I'd better stop submitting. Lol.

Anyway, I'm just asking that we be mindful of each other's strengths and
weaknesses, and try not to devalue what other volunteers bring to the table.

Shannon
P.S. The message I'm responding to is found below.

I think if a person doesn't have time and cannot read the book while
scanning, then they shouldn't submit the books. Sometimes that works, but I
know that Mine would come up with some quirky errors if I didn't read them,
and I've seen them in some others. Please, Sharon, don't take this
personally. Others have a different opinion I am sure. But if you really
don't have time, then you really shouldn't do it. Of course, the little
money off the membership fee makes a difference, I realize that, but if you
don't have time, then scan less and take care of as much as you can. Of
course, the headers are no big deal to my way of thinking, so if that would
be the only issue, then I wouldn't take exception. I suspect since you
posted this that is the case.
Cindy Lou Ray

We are wise, not because we are women, but because we seek wisdom.