[bksvol-discuss] Re: Are volunteers really that important anymore?

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:44:56 EDT

By no means are publishers, outsourcers and volunteers mutually exclusive.
I have just been noticing that volunteers, the former main source of
Bookshare books, have now become a minor source and that smaller share is
shrinking
even more. I just wonder when volunteers will become trivial. I can foresee
the point that volunteers will become so trivial that it would be hardly
worth continuing. I suppose that would be the point of obsolescence. And,
again, I am not necessarily saying that is good or bad. The fact that those old
talking books on vinyl disk are obsolete is not really a bad thing because
there are so many newer and better alternatives that do the job so much
better. On the other hand, by reading the BARD discussion list I know that
there
are a very few people who do still use those disks and that is just fine
too, but it is so few that it is certainly not worth producing more of them.

                                                                  "Can a
nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot." Vladimir Lenin

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Are volunteers really that important anymore?
Date:
8/27/2009 7:57:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

I don't think that publishers, outsourcers and volunteers are mutually
exclusive.

The more books the Merrier.

Bob

“We know the future will outlast all of us, but I believe that all of us
will live on in the future we make,”
Senator Edward M. Kennedy

block quote