[bksvol-discuss] Re: Are volunteers really that important anymore?

  • From: "Lynn I" <lynnskyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:35:53 -0500

Hi Cindy!

I can't speak for "blind people"; but as a person who is totally blind, I use
DAISY. *smile* I prefer the DAISY Bookshare files.

Blessings.

Lynn I

          From: Denise Thompson <deniset@xxxxxxx>
          Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Are volunteers really that important
anymore?
          To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 2:37 PM

          Judy

          I'm behind the times. I didn't realize BS had broadened it's focus.
I'm glad if it benefits you. I just don't want people who are blind to get lost
in the process since that was the original reason for BS's existance. Right now
all I know is that its getting harder for us to contribute. Probably we've gone
about as far as we can with this discussion on the list. Hopefully BS staff are
listening and will consider what has been said.

          Denise

          At 12:38 PM 8/27/2009, you wrote:
          > Denise, you asked about who is benefiting from all the changes.  I
can certainly understand your frustration. smile

          > I think that many of the the changes are coming about because
Bookshare's members are expanding to include more disabled individuals like
myself who are fully sighted but have other serious disabilities that prevent
us from reading printed books.

          > A bookshare book that "sounds" fine to a blind individual is often
virtually unreadable to a sighted disabled person who relies on visually
reading the book from their computer screen.

          > Imagine listening to a book where the narrator is randomly shouting
one word, whispering the next, or stopping in the middle of a sentence then
starting again as if it were a new sentence. It would be an unpleasant
experience to have to read books if this was the norm.

          > That's the equivalent of what it's like to visually read a book
that hasn't had the formatting of a book cleaned up in the way that's now being
suggested. smile.

          > Things in written text that don't make a difference to a blind
reader make an enormous difference to a sighted disabled reader.  For example,
having the chapter titles in larger fonts makes a huge difference in
readability for visual navigation, too, not just for DAISY navigation.

          > One thing that doesn't make much difference to me at least,
however, is the inclusion of images in fiction books, as least those that are
geared towards a young adult or adult audience. They're nice to have, sort of
like having a narrator who can speak in different accents for different
characters in a book, but not necessary.  smile.  The same might be true of
mostly-picture-books for children, but I can't speak to that.

          > I hope that gives at peek into why I believe some of the changes
are happening.  smile.

          > Judy s.
          >

          > Denise Thompson wrote:
          >> I think we have noticed it, but no one right now is prepared to
deal with it since it was once the foundation of the organization itself. It
was one of the big draws in the beginning which led to many news stories and
funding.
          >> The other issue for me is who is benefitting from all the changes.
I mean the changes in terms of the correct preciseness of books scanned now.
Certainly phe push to get rid of garbled text and scannos is wonderful and can
easily be done today with impprooved OCR software. The other things though I
wonder. It's true that I read in the Daisy format very seldom. Mostly I quickly
convert my books to text and put them on my phone to read. When I'm listening
to a book, it sounds exactly the same to me if it has paragraph marks at the
end of each line or double paragraph marks for real paragraphs. It sounds the
same if chapter titles are in 16 point font or in 12 point. The only real
factor that affects me as a blind person listening to the book is the cleanness
of the scan. I know that the other factors mentioned work better in a Daisy
translation and create better divisions on a daisy player. Perhaps for text
books this is more important, but for reading for pleasure, it makes no
difference in listening, but makes a whole lot of difference in scanning,
proofing and getting a book accepted into the library.
          >> My last thought on this is a concern about pictures. I foresee a
time when people who are blind will no longer be able to scan because it will
become important that the pictures be included. Now I go through the new books
and there is the added choice of downloading daisy with images. In the last
book I scanned I was aware there were some pictures, but I'm not able to really
deal with them because I can't tell how over all they are affecting the page
lay out. I deleted them when I knew one was there. I knew one was there
primarily by accident if it was at the top of the page as I checked for a
paragraph mark I would be told a picture was there. I don't know if I got them
all or if some still remained. The book was accepted, but I don't know what the
proofer had to do in order to make that happened. I may not be expressing
myself well, but its almost now as if we're creating books that would pass in
the sighted world with all the same bells and whistles. It seems that maybe
we're loosing sight of the mission a bit. But, again, I guess if the books can
be done with all the bells and whistles more quickly without us and we still
get the benefit of the greater numbers, maybe it doesn't matter.
          >> Denise
          >>

          >> At 10:36 AM 8/27/2009, you wrote:
          >>> If I had a stack of those gay and lesbian books on hand I can
imagine that I might send them off to Bookshare and I might be out the postage
and the cost of the books if I had bought them, but I would also be out many
hours of volunteer labor to get them into the collection. I am not particularly
interested in children's picture books, so I have not downloaded any, but I
would think that outsourcers could handle them. I think that Pavi, in fact,
said that the more difficult books have priority for being outsourced. The main
thing I have noticed, though, is that the proportion of books added to the
collection by means other than volunteers is now considerably greater than the
proportion added by volunteers and that proportion is growing. Also, a good
many books already in the collection by means of volunteers are being replaced
by other means. Furthermore, the proportion that are being added by volunteers
could , in most cases, be done faster and just as easily or more easily, by
those other means. No one has mentioned it. In fact, the Bookshare staff is
proceeding away with more and more innovations for volunteers. What I was
really wondering is whether volunteering is becoming obsolete and nobody has
noticed it.

          >>> "Can a nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot."
Vladimir Lenin

<http://wwww.themilitant.com>Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
          >>> Granma International: http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
          >>>              _
          >>>
          >>> table with 2 columns and 6 rows
          >>> Subj:Â
          >>> [bksvol-discuss] Re: Are volunteers really that important
anymore?  Â
          >>> Date:Â
          >>> 8/27/2009 4:25:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time Â
          >>> From:Â
          >>> rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Â
          >>> Reply-to:Â
          >>> bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Â
          >>> To:Â
          >>> bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Â
          >>> Sent from the Internet
          >>> (Details)Â
          >>> table end
          >>>
          >>> Roger, this is an excellent summary of some of the things I have
also been thinking.Â

          >>> When I first started with bookshare a couple of years ago, there
were tons of books whose rating was fair, and in most cases that designation
was kind.
          >>> But, the books were available, and for a group starving for
reading material, they were great to have. Â

          >>> However, our tastes--and our tolerances--have improved. Where
once we would accept day-old bread because we were starving, we now want
freshly baked goods.
          >>> (Wow, I must be hungry).Â
          >>>
          >>> So, I think your comments about the changing role of the
volunteer are right on target. There will always be a need for volunteers to do
the specialty books
          >>> (such as children's books with pictures), and books of special
interest. I can't imagine NLS having a whole category of gay and lesbian books,
nor can
          >>> I imagine the department of education wanting their money going
toward that end. (I'm not being critical, just can't imagine it happening.)
But, we volunteers
          >>> can make it happen. We can also put books in the collection from
those publishers who won't cooperate with us (after all, we have the law on our
side).Â

          >>> In short, I see the role of the volunteer changing, but not going
away any time soon.Â

          >>> There's an old Chinese proverb that says "may you live in
interesting times." I've always wondered whether that was a curse, challenge or
a blessing. Whatever
          >>> it is, we live in very interesting times with bookshare.Â
          >>>
          >>> BobÂ
          >>>
          >>> “We know the future will outlast all of us, but I believe that
all of us will live on in the future we make,�
          >>> Senator Edward M. Kennedy
          >>>
          >>> block quote

would express some thoughts and questions that have been running through my
mind. I have
          >>> been involved with Bookshare for just a little over a year now
and have seen some considerable changes. I have also surmised changes that came
about before
          >>> I came along. As I understand it the name Bookshare was literal
in the beginning. That is, people posted the books they had scanned for
themselves and
          >>> actually shared them with others who were posting books they had
scanned for themselves. That would have meant that the only source of books
Bookshare
          >>> had for the most part was from the volunteers. Since then,
though, publishers have come to contribute large numbers of books. Bookshare is
acquiring books
          >>> from donations or from buying them and scanning them in house or
outsourcing them. It actually appears that the number of books added to the
collection
          >>> by means other than volunteers is considerably greater than those
added by the volunteers. I have noticed other things being done that volunteers
do that
          >>> may be being done more prolifically by other means than by
volunteers. On more than one occasion now I have made a quality report for a
book that contained
          >>> an error or errors. To my surprise the whole entire book was
promptly replaced by an outsourcer. That makes me wonder why we should bother
with scanning
          >>> a BSO. Volunteers are more and more frequently finding that the
books they intend to scan are being added by outsourcers before the volunteer
get a chance
          >>> to add it. Yes, that means that the volunteer can work on
something else, but it still remains that work that would have been done by a
volunteer is being
          >>> done otherwise. We were asked for some suggestions about gaps in
the collection and I made a suggestion. As I scan the new books lists I see
that it appears,
          >>> to my gratification, that my suggestions are being acted on. I am
pleased, but I cannot help noticing that it is being done without volunteers.
If time
          >>> is money I wonder if it might be more efficient to donate money
to Bookshare to buy books and pay outsourcers rather than donate our time. If
we want certain
          >>> books in the collection I wonder if it might be faster and more
efficient to just donate the books rather than put so much of our own labor
into them.
          >>> As things change devices to accomplish our goals become obsolete
when they are replaced by better devices and certain jobs become obsolete when
better
          >>> and mor efficient ways are found to do things. I wonder if
Bookshare volunteering is a job that is becoming obsolete. Since we have not
even heard hints
          >>> from Bookshare that new volunteers are no longer welcome or that
volunteers can give up on certain jobs I wonder if Bookshare volunteering is
becoming
          >>> obsolete and the folks at Bookshare do not even realize it yet.
It does seem that the volunteers are becoming less important to Bookshare and
that Bookshare
          >>> could probably now do quite well without volunteers while still
adding books at a rapid rate. I am not saying that is good or bad. I am not
saying that
          >>> I want it to be like that or that I don't want it to be like
that. I am just wondering and thinking. What do you guys think about what I
have said?Â
          >>> Â Â Â Â Â Â  Â Â Â Â Â Â  Â Â Â Â Â Â  Â Â Â Â Â Â  Â Â Â Â Â Â
                       "Can a nation be free if it oppresses
other nations? It cannot." Vladimir Lenin   Â
          >>> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  The Militant:
          >>> http://www.themilitant.com <http://www.themilitant.com/>
          >>> Pathfinder Press:
          >>> http://www.pathfinderpress.com <http://www.pathfinderpress.com/>
          >>> Granma International:
          >>> http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
          >>> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  _
          >>> block quote end
list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

  start: 0000-00-00 end: 0000-00-00

08:11:00