[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: Stephen Tyson <kytysons9152@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 19:22:02 -0500

We counted 48 species, here at the house, this weekend.  The early migrants are here and settling and nothing new arrived in this blustery and cold weather.  It was 24 degrees, this morning.The only thing worth noting was 7 Harriers over the southeast fields, on Friday evening, which eBird thought was too many and at least 50 Pipits, yesterday.  eBird had been flagging Pipit numbers of more than 20 or 25, this winter, but didn’t challenge my 50, yesterday.  I watched one of the adult GHOW swoop in to the nest cavity in last evening’s gloom. It was too dark to see the delivered item, but the little ones tussled over whatever it was. They’re getting even more active; there’s a lot of wing flapping in there and I expect to find one of them out of the cavity at any time.  I added a link, below, to some Flickr photos of them.  One photo was taken through my scope in yesterday morning’s low sun and probably my favorite of this year’s brood.  The other was taken about 30 minutes ago of the oldest one that’s thinking about climbing out.
This was the first weekend in a while that we did not hear a Barn Owl.

Great Horned Owl - juveniles in the nest cavityflic.kr

Great Horned Owl - juvenile testing those wingsflic.kr
Stephen (Steve) Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KYSpecies Name: Wood Duck
Mallard
Northern Bobwhite
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
Eurasian Collared-Dove