[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 20:34:34 -0500

This was a 40 specie weekend and after missing our count last weekend, I was
struck by how different the birdlife was since last time.  We managed this
number even though our local Martins are gone, swallows are absent, Grackles
were missing and we didn't even see a Robin, which has to be a first!  This
morning was amazing with the variety of migrants spotted within a period of
about an hour:  A. Redstart, B&W Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Summer
Tanager and Warbling Vireo.  BG Gnatcatchers still seemed to be everywhere I
looked (both days).  At least 2 Peewees are still hanging around and I
spotted a Brown Thrasher for the first time in several months.  Juvenile
Indigo Buntings are busy around our pond thicket; at one point I counted
three in one bush, along with an adult.  I feel privileged to be able to
see, or hear, Red-headed Woodpeckers, nearly every time I step outside; the
juveniles are out and about and often cross from their home woodlot, to our
trees.  Nighthawks continue to float past just before dark.
Stephen Tyson, Adairville (Schochoh), Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

American Goldfinch

American Kestrel

American Redstart

Black Vulture

Black-and-white Warbler

Blue Grosbeak

Blue Jay

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Brown Thrasher

Brown-headed Cowbird

Carolina Chickadee

Carolina Wren

Chipping Sparrow

Common Nighthawk

Cooper's Hawk

Downy Woodpecker

Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Eurasian Collared-Dove

European Starling

Field Sparrow

House Finch

House Sparrow

Indigo Bunting

Killdeer

Mourning Dove

Northern Bobwhite

Northern Cardinal

Northern Mockingbird

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Red-headed Woodpecker

Red-winged Blackbird

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Song Sparrow

Summer Tanager

Tufted Titmouse

Turkey Vulture

Warbling Vireo

White-breasted Nuthatch

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm