[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 20:21:23 -0500

We counted 39 species this summery weekend. Highlights were the white
Red-tail that we saw soaring over the open fields yesterday and two
Loggerhead Shrikes this morning. Shrikes are common here in the winter, but
I don't remember the last time we saw one this time of year.

It took the Bluebirds just 10 days, after the loss of their first brood, to
claim another box, build a nest from scratch and deposit four eggs. They're
not incubating yet, though. One of the Tree Swallow pairs is finally
working on their nest. Yesterday, they followed the mower as we cut grass,
snatching choice bits and carrying them to the box.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

Northern Bobwhite

Great Blue Heron