[birdky] Bluebirds, Tree Swallow

  • From: Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 04:47:03 -0500

Sunday morning I saw one young Bluebird hunting from a power line along with
both parents. Kept thinking it unusual to be just one young Bluebird and not
several. Then I noticed that there was also a young Cowbird on the same stretch
of power line. That probably explains that.
Sunday afternoon our walk took us near a Tree Swallow box. When we were
about 20 feet away, a young swallow appeared at the entrance and promptly
fluttered out and to the ground near our feet. Our new dog Bridge (so named
because his former owners dropped him at the bridge) promptly ran to
investigate but minded when I said stop, never touching the little bird. I
tried to set the little swallow atop a fence post but it fluttered right back
to the ground. Bridge didn't notice where it landed so we moved on. I didn't
see any parents in the vicinity. Hope this little one wasn't so late leaving
the box that the others had moved out of ear shot. Would have peaked inside to
see if it was the last one out if Bridge hadn't been along. Bridge tries to be
a good dog, but I don't think he's going to be much help birding.
Frank Lyne
frank@xxxxxxxxxxx - near Dot in Logan County, KY

================NOTES TO SUBSCRIBERS=============
When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.birdky.org