[birdky] Hend. Co.: Sloughs WMA, Sauerheber Unit

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 14:06:01 -0500

I covered in order: Gentle Pond, Anderson Pond, Pond Creek Marsh, Ohio River,
Hardy Slough and Shorebird Unit, then 268/River Slough (actually not part of
the Sloughs).

FOS:
Yellow-throated Warbler
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
N. Rough-winged Swallow

I heard a wren at Pond Creek Marsh back on March 31st, today it was singing
again and I ID it by call as Marsh Wren. Maybe overwintered??

2nd gate to Pond Creek Marsh is now open.

2 Tundra Swans at Wood Tract north. I guess they had to go to WTN because where
they had been previously no longer has standing water.

Lots of water at 268/River Slough where I had Blue-winged Teal, Lesser Scaup,
Redheads, Shovelers, 1 Ruddy Duck and Pied-billed Grebes. This slough will not
last very long because it has a man-made outlet to the Ohio.

I attempted to get to Horseshoe Road slough but KY136 got too muddy for me to
try.

KY Sloughs WMA - Sauerheber Unit, Henderson, US-KY
Apr 4, 2015 7:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz
2.5 mile(s)
58 species

Canada Goose 12
Tundra Swan 2
Wood Duck 6
Mallard 75
Blue-winged Teal 80
Northern Shoveler 50
Green-winged Teal 40
Redhead 4
Lesser Scaup 30
Bufflehead 8
Hooded Merganser 1
Ruddy Duck 1
Pied-billed Grebe 6
Double-crested Cormorant 2
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 14
Turkey Vulture 3
Cooper's Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 5 1ad @ Hardy Slough nest, 1 ad @ Anderson Pond nest.
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Coot 400
Killdeer 2
Greater Yellowlegs 40
Lesser Yellowlegs 6
Mourning Dove X
Red-bellied Woodpecker 5
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 4
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 2
Pileated Woodpecker 3
Blue Jay X
American Crow X
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2
Tree Swallow X
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 8
Marsh Wren 1 at Pond Creek Marsh reeds, ID by song.
Carolina Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1