[birdky] Hend. Co.: Sloughs WMA, Sauerheber Unit

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 11:12:42 -0500

Overcast, warm and humid

Very un-birdy. Like the doldrums of summer after migration is over.

I covered Gentle Pond Area, Shorebird Unit and Wood Tract south.

No luck looking from an avocet.

Shorebirds seem to have disappeared.
Any migrating warblers seem to have disappeared.

It is like the migration is happening in the corridor through central KY and
missing my area of the state.

I drove out to Horseshoe Road slough. The field next to the slough has been
tilled and then add 2 inches of rain Saturday it was definitely not something I
wanted walk on. And from the road I could see nothing to entice me into the
mud: no shorebirds seen.

KY Sloughs WMA - Sauerheber Unit, Henderson, US-KY
May 17, 2015 8:00 AM - 10:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
33 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 3
Wood Duck 2
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 8
Great Egret 2 both at Shorebird Unit
Turkey Vulture 4
Killdeer 2
Lesser Yellowlegs 4 flying out of Wood Tract south
peep sp. 6 flying out of Wood Tract south
Mourning Dove X
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 4
Acadian Flycatcher 1