[birdky] Hend. Co.: Sloughs WMA, Sauerheber Unit

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:22:58 -0500

The Ohio River is now falling and I was able to get to the Sloughs. My first
visit since the 17th. Water is only over the KY268 about 6 inches deep before
and after J Dance Road.

Muddy Slough is still running over the gravel road to Shorebird Unit. But from
distant viewing it is full and almost over the dike at the SBU.

I am sure there is a small Great Blue Heron rookery being established at Gentle
Pond. They are coming and going in the tops of Bald Cypress trees, squawking
and croaking at other. Any nests are not visible due to the foliage and
distance from any viewing location.

Fist juv. Bald Eagles seen at Hardy Slough nest. Two for sure, maybe three.

Highlight:
FOS Indigo Bunting

Lesser Yellowlegs in a large group at one of the impoundments at Hardy Slough.

Duck numbers have plummeted.

KY Sloughs WMA - Sauerheber Unit, Henderson, US-KY
Apr 22, 2015 7:10 AM - 9:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
46 species

Canada Goose 8
Wood Duck 6
Hooded Merganser 3
Wild Turkey 4
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 8
Turkey Vulture 2
Bald Eagle 6 2 ad. & 2 juv. @ Hardy Slough nest, 2 ad. @ Anderson Pond nest
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Coot 17 11 @ Hardy Slough, 6 more at Wood Tract north
Killdeer 2
Solitary Sandpiper 3
Greater Yellowlegs 15 10 @ Hardy Slough, 5 in backwater,
Lesser Yellowlegs 100 all at Hardy Slough
Mourning Dove X
Barred Owl 1
Red-headed Woodpecker 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2