[birdky] Hend. Co.: Sloughs WMA, Sauerheber Unit

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 10:57:33 -0500

Before birding the Sloughs, I drove out and checked on the conditions at
Horseshoe Road slough.
No mud flats. I go away 1 week and the area gets inundated with rain.

At the Sloughs I hit in order: Pond Creek Marsh, Ohio River access, and the
dike at Wood Tract south.
It’s nice that the dikes and closed roads have been mowed.

Highlights:
28 Great Egrets
4 Green Herons
4 Bell’s Vireos

KY Sloughs WMA - Sauerheber Unit, Henderson, Kentucky, US
Jun 28, 2015 7:55 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
35 species

Wood Duck 1 at Pond Creek Marsh sandspit
Great Blue Heron 12
Great Egret 28 25 at Wood Tract south, rest at Pond Creek Marsh
Green Heron 4 3 at Wood Tract south, 1 near Ohio River
Killdeer 1
Mourning Dove 2
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 11
Barred Owl 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Acadian Flycatcher 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
Bell's Vireo 4 ID by song, 2 at Ohio River access, 2 at Wood Tract south
wooded dike
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 9
Barn Swallow 6