[birdky] Hend. Co.: Sloughs WMA, Sauerheber Unit

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 15:57:34 -0500

Highlights:

I walked back the closed road to Pond Creek Marsh to the sandspit. Obs 2 Bald
Eagles at the Anderson Pond nest.

So there are 3 active Bald Eagle nests at the Sauerheber Unit.

I located the Great Blue Heron nest at Gentle Pond. First time I have ever seen
them nesting in the Sloughs, Sauerheber Unit.

Waterfowl numbers down.

I saw a Mourning Cloak butterfly! Spring is moving along.

12 Greater Yellowlegs at Wood Tract north.

First Yellow-rumped Warbler since I returned March 15th.

Details:

KY Sloughs WMA - Sauerheber Unit, Henderson, US-KY
Mar 31, 2015 7:30 AM - 10:45 AM
Protocol: Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz
2.0 mile(s)
42 species

Canada Goose  16
Wood Duck  4
American Black Duck  2
Mallard  100
Blue-winged Teal  40
Northern Shoveler  150
Green-winged Teal  20
Hooded Merganser  1
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Great Blue Heron (Blue form)  3     2 building a nest at Gentle Pond
Turkey Vulture  3
Bald Eagle  3     2 ad @ Anderson Pond nest, 1 ad @ Gentle Pond nest.
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Coot  150
Killdeer  2
Greater Yellowlegs  12     all at Wood Tract north
Mourning Dove  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2