[beports] Re: Changeset 60

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 03:39:10 +0000

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)
<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Schrijvers Luc wrote:
>>
>> On do, 2008-05-22 at 14:48 -0700, Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki) wrote:
>>

>>> Personally, I would prefer not to see the subdomain become a place to
>>> support a few BeOS users for melancholy purposes. Don't get me wrong, I
>>> love(d) BeOS and I cherish our heritage; but we want to look to the future.
>>> Hopefully saying this does not get me into too much trouble. :)
>>>

>> Well you asked for it! :P
>>

> I knew I would get in trouble. :P
>
>> I hope that with the move ov the domain this want become a Haiku only
>> thing, not that we shouldn't target the port towards Haiku.But I still
>> feel like we have to bear in mind where we came from (without loosing
>> sight on where we are going). ;)
>>

> I realize that many still use BeOS or Zeta to develop (for) Haiku, and I
> understand the inevitability of having to have certain legacy content that
> that entails; that's not a problem in itself.
>
> That being said, if it's going to be under a Haiku subdomain, I would like
> to make sure that the focus is on advancing Haiku, as opposed to supporting
> legacy operating systems that are dead ends (BeOS/ZETA).
>
> So, I am not saying it has to be Haiku-only, but let's be cognizant of where
> we want the focus to be: the future rather than the past. ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Koki

I've been keeping my eye of the road in front of us, but sometimes
look back in my rearview mirror to make sure the old stuff still
works. ;)
I think for posting any compiled files, those would probably only be
haiku ones, as there's bebits for BeOS files.
As for posting files, looks like we're waiting on Sikosis to figure
out why the files I've posted aren't downloadable.  I've been building
dev haiku raw and vmware images daily and they will eventually be
available at http://www.haiku-files.org/dev
So if you find a package maintainer who would like to test your
changes out for themselves in vmware you can point them to that page.
That's what the 7zip guy did.  I was hosting them on my private ftp
site and gave him the url to it.
-scottmc

--
BePorts homepage - http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts