atw: Re: use of the ? symbol

  • From: "Michael Lewis" <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:02:23 +1000

Reginald Hardman:

> ISO 1000 (SI units) specifies currency unit conventions for
> international technical reports, but I have access only to a 1981 copy!
> It may have changed. In the SI system, usually ALL units are placed
> after the numbers.
>
> CORRECTION
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> In my last post, I gave the non-symbolic euro example as 80.45Eu. That
> is incorrect. The correct useage is 80.45EUR. Sorry, my bad habits.

Reg speaks (sorry, writes) sooth. (G'day, Reg!) But I do think the
distinction between the "local" symbols ($, £, ¥, etc) and the SI symbols
(USD, UKP, JPY) is worth observing. Most readers would be quite bewildered
to encounter something like "80 million $", but "80 million USD" shouldn't
give anyone much dyspepsia.

Michael Lewis

Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia
http://www.brandle.com.au