atw: Re: use of the ? symbol

  • From: "Michael Lewis" <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:54:40 +1000

Erica Ferrigno:

> Can anyone tell me the right way to express the following please.
>
> "...annual sales of approximately 8 million =80 and over..."

If you're using _any_ currency symbol (the special character for euro, dollar,
pound sterling, yen . . .) the standard location is before the digits. Use the
euro
symbol as you would the dollar sign in "$80 million". (But of course it's not
correct to write something like "$ several thousand".)

If you are using an international currency abbreviation (EUR, UKP, AUD, USD,
etc), you can use it either with figures (normally, put the symbol first) or
with
words (put the symbol after the amount).

Michael Lewis

Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia
www.brandle.com.au