atw: Re: The New World Order

  • From: "Matthew da Silva" <journo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:28:45 +1000

Brian - Congratulations on being an electrical engineer. My father is an
electrical engineer. Of course I resent your labelling my story 'puff' - as
you intend - and I furthermore think that it is entirely mean-spirited of
you. You represent yourself abysmally. What you won't acknowledge is that
most people on the planet are not engineers, scientists, mathematicians. I'm
not writing the story for you alone. It's written mostly for the general
reader, a persona you obviously hold in contempt. It's ironic that you
should possess this attitude, as tech writers - much like journalists -
spend a lot of time trying to untangle the techno-ese for the benefit of
general readers. This story is unique in that it goes into far more depth
than stories about the event published elsewhere. I know this because I
carefully monitored the coverage - including blogging of racing teams and
stories on environmental and automotive sites. It shows that I understand
that these young people - who thanked me for spending a whole day with them
on-site - are eager and enthusiastic, and desirous of achieving great
things. Unlike some of the sneering gremlins we find on the ATW list. My
father would not say the things you do because he is a gentleman.

Matthew