atw: Re: The New World Order

  • From: "Michelle Hallett" <michelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:10:55 +1100

Brian,

Guess you don't know much about journalism then. In the single course I did
no journalism at uni we were taught to put our conclusions in the first
paragraph and then the most relevant facts, followed by facts that were
pertinent to the topic but not as relevant to the conclusion.

The reason for this format: most readers read the first few paragraphs of an
article and, unless deeply interested in the topic, move on to other
articles in a newspaper. This format provides the reader with an
understanding of the main thrust of the article.

I haven't read Matthew's article but if it has a long, irrelevant tail it is
probably written in correct journalistic format. Given that this format was
devised for newspapers perhaps it should be revised, but I don't think so. I
think this style fits well with the way people read on the internet.

Michelle