atw: Re: Master/sub-documents and corruptions.

  • From: Janice Gelb <Janice.Gelb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:53:26 +1000

tpdhome@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I worked at a place where they used structured FrameMaker. They had all sorts of notes and tips on how to get productivity up to a page a day while using the counter-intuitve application. (Three windows required to be open to type, format and structure.) The local 'expert', who had been at the company for several years, had achieved that impressive 1 p/d goal.

Working in MSWord, I regularly get in excess of 30 p/d for the same types of (admittedly, marginally less stable) docs. BTW, my memory is too long and painful for me to use master docs. I've been fortunate in not needing to exceed the 32 Mb limit too often--but even when I have, still had no problems.

I can't speak for FrameMaker but structured docs in
general should mean faster output, not slower, because
you are not bogged down in formatting details like
page breaks and so on while you are writing. And in
the SGML/XML editor I use, only one editing window
is required.

Also, pages-per-day figures are going to vary greatly
with the experience of the operator. People with a
lot of experience can often be remarkably productive
with even the clunkiest software, while people with
no experience usually aren't very productive with
even the slickest software.

-- Janice