atw: Re: Master/sub-documents and corruptions.

  • From: "Lewington, Warren J (WT)" <warren.lewington.ext@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:16:01 -0400

Oh, lets all face it, MS Word is at times woefully inadequate and
requires all these un-written, undocumented "rules" to work. The ten
caveats I suggest were probably in the minds of the developers when they
were piecing the master/sub-document architecture and code together -
because boy, when you use them the whole shebang works really well. I
strongly suspect it was just never documented within MS Word in the
first place - I mean if they had spent the time with that documentation
like the Fields help they would go through the ten caveats. Also
consider the misunderstandings about Styles and Formatting in general.

Yeah, look the process does seem complicated, but, at the end of the
day, the ten caveats that I provide there are pretty basic stuff. And
the 10 items are functions that we all use, to varying degrees loosely
and tightly, whenever we are working in Word.

My main point is to be rigorous when using master/sub-documents. And
ABSOLUTELY!
These are not for the faint hearted, or the person trying to get
something done quickly. It takes planning and some cooperative
organisation. The more people involved, the more planning and
cooperation.

My secondary point is to ensure people understand that
master/sub-documents can work and are a useful tool when applied
properly. I am not a prophet suggesting that we all should paradigm
shift and start using them and bugger everything else.

Just, when you do, do it properly, and do it well. Like, isn't that what
we are supposed to be doing as professionals???

Remember; keep your mind open to all possibilities.

Regards,
Warren