atw: Re: Master/sub-documents and corruptions.

  • From: Suzy <SuzyDavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:47:05 -0500 (CDT)

Warren!
LOL - this is going to keep me going for a week I reckon.
Have you read your post?

Do you really think that a piece of software that needs all these
undocumented rules to be followed and manually implemented by the
author in order to ensure that the software a) works as expected
and b)enables the author to publish or retrieve the documents in a
reliable and predictable way; ie in a way that does not
significantly disrupt the work process?

This is how you would design it??

Forgive me, but sometimes I think we are working with these tools
for so long that we just get used to being an expert; and believe
that knowing the workarounds and the over-rides to achieve a
predictable result it's all good.

I don't use Master docs, but I do see my reaction in the faces of
my customers when I confidently tell them what they need to do to
have trouble free documents in Microsoft Word.

Thank you for the reminder.  Gold, pure gold.

I'm with the MVP site.

And thank you for documenting all those caveats so that I will
know what to do should a customer inflict their master doc on me.

regards
Suzy