atw: Re: Master/sub-documents and corruptions.

  • From: tpdhome@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:55:12 +0800

I think you're backing a loser there, Michael. Apart from Warren's accurate and insightful retort *and* the cost...

I worked at a place where they used structured FrameMaker. They had all sorts of notes and tips on how to get productivity up to a page a day while using the counter-intuitve application. (Three windows required to be open to type, format and structure.) The local 'expert', who had been at the company for several years, had achieved that impressive 1 p/d goal.

Working in MSWord, I regularly get in excess of 30 p/d for the same types of (admittedly, marginally less stable) docs. BTW, my memory is too long and painful for me to use master docs. I've been fortunate in not needing to exceed the 32 Mb limit too often--but even when I have, still had no problems.

Suzy, I also see no problem in documenting tips and aids in helping folk work more efficiently. I'm in the process of doing so as I attempt to get rid of a template with lots of macros that manually format the Normal style. (What I don't understand is why there are hundreds of para styles in the template, when only Normal and a few headings appear in the doc.) I'm replacing the template with one where each different style is accompanied by a new paragraph style.

It would be great to have an application where everything worked intuitively and nothing needed to be documented--until the non-intuitive folk were hired to work with it. :)

Cheers
Terry