atw: Re: Version management details in a document

  • From: Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:35:47 +1000

Thanks for the comments so far.
Just a note to explain a few issues.

"...it simply shouldn't be there"
My users request it and they DO read it.

"  ... be kept for lookup in a separate version control system of some
kind"
These docs are often a printed version of a specification, and the
developers really do check the version details, so having them noted in the
document is handy to both write and find.  It also mirrors what they note
when they get coding.
I am struggling to get them to write anything, so it has to be really easy
and convenient.

"Get a life !"
Did I mention that the users here are programmers.

"... who is there that wants this stuff that can't find it in a doc change
audit trail ?"
 Did I mention that the users here are programmers.

"Unless I've misunderstood, this isn't at all the same as routine history /
version records of routine documents that civilians use"
Correct, the users here are programmers.

These programmers do have a system where they check out a program to update
or whatever, so the version notes in the code header block (title page
equivalent) are minimal. The code library maintains the audit trail.
The version control notes are within specifications, requirements, designs,
and so on.

Bob Trussler