atw: Version management details in a document

  • From: Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:02:02 +1000

I am at a site were we are developing document standards, with accompanying
templates.  The work we do is designing, building and maintaining large
computer systems.
The programmers (developers) are used to noting every program change in a
table at the start of the program.
    23Jun09  Bob T  Added link to new server 03

There is a debate starting about the correct, or the best, or the usual, or
I'm-used-to-this-format place to put that page with the version
management and approval details in a document.
The page that has both
   V1.3  23Jun09  Bob T  Added new server details
and
   Approved for publication by BBBBB on 24Jun09.

There are two aspects being discussed.

ONE
Where do we put the page with the version history?
1  the full history on the front page
2  current version details only on the front page
3  following the title page
4  following the table contents
5  on the last page of the document.

During the course of a project, or during the life of the subject matter,
the history of who did what when can get quite long and spread over several
pages.
I suggested a combination of 2 and 5.

TWO
Approval or sign off notes.  These can be in two formats here.
1  one approval note for the current version.  This by implication covers
all previous versions.
2  an approval note for each and every version, change, or update.  This
note to be added as the last column on the version details table.

Does anyone have any idea what the current, trendy, latest way to do this
and preferably WITH SUPPORTING ARGUMENTS.
I have looked around and found every possible variation.

Feel free to contact me off-line with examples at bob-trussler@xxxxxxxxxxx

Bob Trussler