atw: Re: Version management details in a document

  • From: Elizabeth Fullerton <Elizabeth_Fullerton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:39:44 +1000

Ah, an oldie but a goodie. These are my personal preferences (and what I do
when I get to set up the template):

Version number and date on front page. And every single page of the document,
eg in the footer. I use field codes (though you have to make sure everyone
working on the doc understands them).

Version history after the TOC. Because I hate having stuff before - it means
you can't find the TOC (particularly with stuff that grows), and it's a
legitimate part of the document, its existence should be recorded in the TOC.
Incidentally, I quite often use a different numbering style for the "doc admin"
headings like version history, approvals, etc - I use no numbers for them, so
the "real" part of the doc starts with section 1. It's nice and easy with a
couple of un-numbered heading styles based on their numbered counterparts, give
them a level and add them to the TOC.

Version history not at the end of the document. I can understand the logic in
putting it there, but then you have the "doc admin" stuff spread out around the
document (unless all of it goes at the back) - and the other thing is it
confuses people when it comes to an appendix. Before the version history? After
the version history? Easier to take the VH out of the whole appendix question.
There's already enough confusion around which kind of heading to use (one
called "appendix" or just the next number in the sequence..?).

Approvals. I like to embed the approvals (usually emails in my own experience)
for the current version only. The older versions of the doc will contain the
older approvals. I also try to encourage people to create a separate folder
wherever the main document lives, just to contain instances of the approvals.
That way we can survive audits, and arguments about who may or may not have
done what.

Version history details. A bugbear of mine (or is that a bee in my bonnet?) -
meaningful comments. Things like "changes resulting from review comments" are
pointless. So is "changes from workshop" - I want to know which sections have
been changed, and if it's as a result of the workshop I want the name and date
of it so I can look up the minutes if I have to. Assuming minutes were taken
and stored appropriately... I don't mean every detail of every change, I mean
something like "modified section 5 [or the name of the section] to incorporate
details about the new infrastructure".

I have a few other preferred subjects of rant, if you care to ask...

Regards

Elizabeth Fullerton, CBAP
Business Solutions Architect
Infosys Australia