atw: Re: Fill-in field shading Word 03

  • From: jasminethetrainer@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 01:59:13 +0000

So it has... how odd.

Text boxes seem to have been the only tool in the previous tech writer's tool kit. I will see if there are any lurking in this form.

Ta
Jasmine

On 11/06/2009 11:22am, tpdhome@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Jasmine,

Sounds like it might be highlighting as that often doesn't fill the cells to the same extent as cell/paragraph shading. I had a similar issue many years ago where someone had applied virtually every type of shading to some table text. I guess if the cells are fixed size, there's also the possibility of having shaded text boxes or drawing shapes in the background (even in the header/footer).

BTW, your last message appears to have come to me only.

Cheers,

Terry

Quoting jasminethetrainer@xxxxxxxxx:

Back at work so I can work through the suggestions you have made.

Switching the field shading on and off gives extra shading, which it

to say that the shaded area is extended beyond what is shaded already.

When I got to this point last Friday, I threw in the towel and decided

to get a start on the long weekend. Looking at it now, I can see that

each field on the form contains two word fields: the Fill-in field,

and a text form field. (Why?!?!)

Just for the hell of it I looked at highlighting. It is not showing as

being highlighted, yet I can clear the highlighting and the grey

shading is gone! However I can't apply proper field shading to it now

and shading will only show when you click into the default text for

the fill-in field (not terribly useful).

I think the easiest thing to do would be to get rid of the fields

altogether and re-do them properly so the next person in my role

doesn't inherit a basket case form.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Jasmine