[AR] Re: SpaceX

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 12:16:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I am really surprised the Elon is asking for other camera shots, you would
think he would have had it covered
High and low on a bare minimum of all four corners.

I'd bet money (in small amounts) that the cameras are there, but fueling was considered a low-risk preliminary and they weren't turned on!

There is no footage of the 1967 S-IVB-503 explosion for exactly that reason: lots of cameras but they weren't running for routine prep work.

Mind you, those guys had a bit more of an excuse because those were film cameras; with digital recording to hard drive, you aren't out money if you routinely have the cameras running. But if nobody's really thought about it, the tendency is still to start the cameras only when there's supposed to be something for them to watch.