[argyllcms] Re: profile -S -g

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:23:32 +1000

Klaus Karcher wrote:

Do you mean I get a saturation-like result even when I use the "perceptual forward gamut ;-)" of ISO Coated v2 together with a argyll profile tailored exactly to this gamut?

When you have a profile setup that uses symmetrical A2B and B2A
tables (as is the case for ICCV4 using the PRMG), then you basically
loose the distinction between perceptual and saturation. This is because
there is no way honor the symmetry without clipping, other than
to map the device gamut exactly to and from the interchange gamut,
resulting in a saturation type intent. To put it another way, the interchange
gamut obliterates what the actual device gamut is, so you don't
know whether a source point is lies within the destination or not.

At least I want to test both options before I choose one of them. And I think I found a way to test it: in fact, fakeread doesn't offer a -i option, but I think I can use xicclu to grab the "perceptual gamut" -- I'll try it.

You might be able to manage something with that approach.