[argyllcms] Re: Display Calibration Hardware Capabilities

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:37:13 +0200

Since I started to play with plasma TVs, I wonder if I should pick up a
Spyder3 Express or Pro (is there a difference in the sensor accuracy?) to
replace my ColorMunki or use an i1LT together with my CM.

But I am not sure if those colorimeters are really better for measuring low
luminance patches than the ColorMunki in adaptive mode.

I sold my i1LT after I tested it on my WCG H-IPS display (~850:1 contrast)
and it produced fairly the same results on low luminance patches that my CM
produced in adaptive mode (after I created the correction matrix for it).
And I also used the CM to calibrate c-PVA displays (with ~2000:1 native
contrast) and the adaptive mode gave me nice results. (The gamma-shift of
the PVA panel allowed me to easily examine the darkest shades too. They were
not perfect but reasonable enough, given that the panel is 6bit+FRC and it
was a complete disaster before the calibration ; and it looked very good
when I avoided the gamma-shift effect.)

It would be nice to have any guess value that what is the low-luminance
accuracy of the ColorMunki in this sensor mode and how does it compares to
i1 and spyder colorimeters.